- ALL PLANTATIONS REQUIRE INTENSIVE WEEDING
- ACACIA REQUIRE INTENSIVE PRUNING TO ENCOURAGE STRAIGHT GROWTH AND RIGHT FORM
- ACACIA REQUIRE VERY LITTLE FERTILISER
After the plantations have been established, the trees need regular management to optimise their growth and value. This work is done by one of the recommended management companies, or by the investors themselves.
- A soil analysis is made to see what kind of nutrients are available for the trees and to determine what kind of fertilizer and how much is required.
- Acacia trees create their own nitrogen from the air. This is a unique characteristic and makes the trees less dependent on fertilizer.
- Weeding is done mechanically and manually. Intensive weeding is needed during the first few years after planting.
- Pruning will have to be done regularly to encourage straight growth and create quality timber for Acacia.
- Irrigation is used on plantations to provide water to the trees during the growth season.
- The fence around the plantation will need repairing from time to time. This has to be done occasionally after a fence gets damaged from the fall of overhanging branches or when an animal tunnels underneath it.