- ACACIA IS FAST GROWING VALUABLE HARDWOOD
- ACACIA HAS EASY ROUTES TO MARKET
- ACACIA IS PERFECTLY SUITED FOR PLANTATIONS AND GERMAN CLIMATE
The reasons why we choose to plant Acacia is based on a number of characteristics that make these trees very suitable for plantation forestry.
- Grow very fast under intensive management, allowing them to be harvested after a relative short (for forestry) rotation.
- Hardwoods like Acacia are more valuable than softwoods.
- Prefer sandy soils, which eastern Germany has to offer in abundance.
- Acacia trees are sustainable and re-grow from stump after being harvested.
- Already have existing markets for their end products.
The Robinia we plant is the “Nagybudmeri“ variety. This variety has the characteristic that it grows fast and straight. It’s therefore perfectly suited for the production of timber. It can also withstand periods of drought and does not need very fertile soils to successfully mature.
We plant Acacia as one-year-old rootstocks, which have been grown for one year under nursery conditions. The advantage of planting rootstock rather than planting seeds, is that rootstock already have a well developed root system which allows the trees to have a much higher survival rate for the first year on the plantations.